Pages

Tuesday 15 June 2021

Write that Essay Sentences

The ' W ' Sentence - Makes the sentence sound thoughtful and knowledgeable. 

Remember the rule: Not ever ' w ' words works as sentences starter. Remember to put a your comma in when the parts of the sentences affected why your ' w ' are finished.

Some ' w ' words you can use- Who, While, Whereas, When, Where, What, Whilst, With.

Examples
  • Whilst the class was eating, I read my book. 
  • Where you like chocolate, others prefer candy.
  • When I finished eating, I played Basketball.
  • While my brother was studying, me and my friends played games.
  • Whereas my clothes are small, but my brother's is big.
Task 1
  • Suddenly, my friends laugh without any joke.
  • Unfortunately, I lost the Athletics tournament.
  • Surprisingly, I finished my work on time.
  • Enthusiastically, I wen't to school.
Task 2

Through the hills, there are houses.
Under the ocean, there are corals.
On the roof, there are solar panels.
Behind the coach, we shared food.

Task 3

Silently the cat, stalked its prey.
In 1975, a High School was finally built in Hornby.
Amongst the papers, I found my Homework.
Anxiously, I awaited my test results.
Fortunately the kai today, was something good.
About twenty years ago, law was passed that changed everything.
Often the things we say, and the things we mean are two different things.
Cautiously he knocked, on the principals door await a reply.

June 17
The ' ing ' sentence

Use the-ing version of the verb e.g to run-running
Remember the rule- When you finish your-ing phrase, place a comma, then write the rest of the sentence.

Some-ing words- Listening, watching, running, realising, emerging, grasping, speaking, analysing, signalling, exposing, gossiping, wanting.

Examples- Realising the danger, people fled from the cities.
  • Shaking away the nerves, he walked towards the microphone.
  • Acknowledging the speaker, he bowed his head in silence.
  • Wanting to eat, he went to Burger King.
  • Listening to music, I sang with the song.
  • Speaking in a nice tone, I accidentally forgot the sentence.

The ' ed ' sentence

Try starting the sentence with ' ed ' form of verb e.g to jog-jogged. This makes a punchy start to your sentence.

Remember the rule-When you finish your-ed phrase, place a comma, then write the rest of the sentence.
Som-ing words- Frustrated, surprised, excited, committed, undaunted, determined, overpowered, concerned, cornered, delighted, enthralled, wanted.

Examples- Determined to win, Tony pushed himself the last meters of the sprint.
  • Concerned for the welfare of others, the Prime Minister passed new laws.
  • Frustrated by the on going rain, I stared out the window.
  • Overpowered government, the people are being controlled. 
  • Surprised by the new built school, I quickly got inside.
  • Cornered by the enemy, we tried to get away.
  • Excited to travel, I over slept 
  • Wanted to sleep, we layed on our beds.
June 23
The power sentence

If you waffle a lot, try starting your sentence with a power statement of 12 words or less.

Example: Money is the route of all evil
  • What is right, isn't always popular.
  • Hard work leads to positive results.
  • Strength isn't always good, thinking is.
  • People may look like each other but they think different.
The ' Red, White and Blue' sentence:

Use this sentence style, when you have several ideas to convey about a topic.
Example: Successful students are focused, hard-working and punctual.
                                                        RED         WHITE             BLUE
The Earths's key resources are clean air, fresh water and natural environment.
                                                   RED      WHITE               BLUE
Sunshine, water and friends make for a perfect weekend adventure.
RED              WHITE                                                   BLUE   

Task 1
Screaming, people are afraid of something.
Noticing, that I someone is following me.
Signalling, but he didn't notice it.
Investigating, where my shoes dissapeared. 

 Task 2
Who put the food, under the desk. 
When was the last time, I played on my device.
Where did you go, at this time.
What were you doing, earlier.

Task 3
  • Emerging from the depth, the monster sought its new prey.
  • When the baking was complete, the ovens were cleaned thoroughly.
  • Committed to improving their routine the dancers, trained daily.
  • Overpowered by the wave the swimmers, were swept off their feet.
  • Analysing the situation, the commander decided the hill route was the best.
  • While we were watching, the experiment the paper ignited.
  • Hoping to improve his score, Matthew studied his times tables daily.
  • With their friends and family, watching the students took the stage.
  • Undaunted by the work the builders, pushed on repair the house.

                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.