Pages

Wednesday 17 June 2020

Maori

Hi,
In Maori we have to research about the Matariki stars. What I did is go on google and search to find information here is what I have done.

The Matariki stars begins to show up in late March or early June that is when the stars start to show up on the night sky. The names of Matariki stars are

    Matariki: about the Māori New Year and how to celebrate it in 2019 ...
  • Alcyone the matariki eyes of Tawhirimatea
  • Atlas Tupu-a-rangi, sky tohunga
  • Electra Waipuna a rangi sky spring
  • Taygeta waiti sweat water
  • Pleione Tupu a nuku Earth tuhunga
  • Merope Ururangi entry heavens 
  • Mai Waita Sprinkle of water


So that is the 7 names of the Matariki. Maori people also use matariki to predict the weather they used the stars from a long long time ago. Matariki is a celebration that is about spending time with your family and Matariki is also a agricultural.

Moari also plants something before the Matariki and when the Matariki shows up it is there time to harvest the plant that they have planted. The Matariki stars are really important because it is the time to restart the maori calendar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.